Cook Express – Naan & Biyan Bhaji by Dr. Flory Pereira
Vasco Watch had carried an article on Flory Pereira and her thesis connected with salt pans of Goa.
While salt is the ingredient of her academic pursuits, let her show you the other spices that she dabbles in, while in the kitchen. Who does not get tempted with Garlic Naans and Goa’s very own famous mouth watering cashew Curry !
[su_slider source=”media: 2002,2001,2000,1999,1997,1994,1993″ link=”lightbox” title=”no”]
- 1 Tbsp Yeast (Dried Active)
- 150ml or 1/4 Pint Warm Water (1 Part Boiling to 2 Parts Cool Water)
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 250gms White Flour (Maida)
- 250gms Wheat Flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- 20gms Butter or 20ml Vegetable Oil (2 tblsp)
- Curd mixed with warm water to make soft dough.
- Activate yeast by mixing water and sugar in a pint bowl.
- Sprinkle yeast and whisk/mix after a few minutes.
- Keep till it froths (10- 15 minutes)
- Mix flour, salt and butter or oil, till crumbly.
- Add yeast mixture and the curd to make dough like for chapattis. Knead for 10 minutes to release gluten.
- Put little oil on hands and pat outside of dough, so that it doesn’t dry out. Keep in a covered container till dough doubles in size (or put in a bowl and cover the top of the bowl with cling wrap or a damp cloth).
- When the dough doubles, knead again and roll out into thick chapattis. Fry on a tawa or in a tandoor.
- For Garlic Naans: Add chopped garlic to dough.
- For Butter- Garlic Naans: Fry the above using butter.
- For Cheese Naans: Sprinkle cheese on one side during frying and fry till it melts a bit.
Biyan Bhaji (Cashewnut curry)
- 1/4 kg Cashew Nuts
- 2 Pkts Mushrooms (This is my special additional secret ingredient. Many people add potatoes instead.)
- 1 Coconut (Grated And Dry Roasted)
- 2-3 Onions (Finely Chopped)
- 1-2 Green Chillies (Finely Chopped)
- 1″ Ginger (Finely Chopped)
- 2-3 Cloves Of Garlic (Finely Chopped)
- 2-3 Sprigs Curry Leaves
- 2-3 Tomatoes
- 1-2 Tbsp Xacuti Masala*
- Sauté onions, green chillies, ginger, garlic, tomatoes and curry leaves in a little oil.
- Fry mushrooms and then add the cashew nuts and stir fry for a few minutes.
- Add ground coconut and cook for a while.
- Add 1-2 tbsp Goan Xacuti Masala powder.
- Stir and cook for a few minutes. Serve hot with bread/ Naans.