Cook Express – Vegetable and Egg Chop by Mahua Char
Mahua Char is passionate about Rabindra Sangeet and is a talented singer too.
She is a qualified musician who holds a post graduate degree in Music from Rabindra Bharathi, Kolkata.
She shared some typical Bengali recipes with the women of our neighbourhood on 6th June 2014.
[su_carousel source=”media: 1992,1990,1988,1987,1986,1985,1984,1983,1982,1981,1980,1979,1978,1977,1976,1975,1974,1973,1972,1971,1970″ link=”lightbox” height=”300″ items=”1″ title=”no”]
- 1 medium size Potato boiled and mashed
- 1 big size Beet Root
- 3 Carrots
- ¼ cup Peanuts
- ½ cup Green peas
- 10 gms Kishmish (Raisins)
- 5 Green chillis
- Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Chilli powder
- 3 tsp Ginger paste
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala (if you want spicy)
- 1/4cup Maida
- 1/2 cup Cornflour
- Bread crumbs
- Oil to deep fry.
- Grate beetroot and carrots.
- Boil the potato , mash it.
- Dry roast the chopped coconut and keep aside.
- Add 2 tsp oil and Fry peanuts. Strain and keep aside. In the same oil add little hing, Turmeric powder, chilli powder, ginger paste, cumin powder. Fry just for a little while and add grated beet root and carrot.
- Add mash potato. Add salt, green chilli. Add garam masala and cook till all moisture is gone. If needed add little cornflour
- Leave it to cool.
- Now divide the mixture equally to make it into balls. Fill with 3-4 fried peanuts, 2 kismish inside and then fold.
- Mix cornflour with a little water and make a thick paste.
- Now dip the prepared cutlet into the cornflour mix so that it is well coated with cornflour mixture.
- Now drop it gently into bread crumbs and see to it that it is well coated with bread crumbs on both the sides.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the cutlets until golden brown on both sides. You can even deep fry if you want.
- 2 Boiled Eggs cut into half
- 1 Onion of a small size chopped
- 3-4 piece Green chili chopped
- 1 Potato, Boiled, large size
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Chili Powder
- ¼ tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- 1 ½ tsp Garlic paste
- Handful of coriander leaves, chopped
- ¼ chopped Capsicum
- 1 cup approx Bread Crumbs for coating
- 1 piece Egg, for coating
- 1 tsp oil for masala
- Oil for deep frying
- Smash boiled potato.
- Put a pan on the oven and add 1 tea spoon of cooking oil.
- When the oil is hot, add chopped onion.
- Fry onions 2 mins, add small pieces of capsicum and stir.
- Add red chilli powder, cumin powder, garlic – ginger paste, turmeric powder,
- Then add smashed boiled and stir well.
- Add garam masal, salt. Add coriander leaves chopped.
- Fry all these on the pan for approximately 1 minute.
- Use the potato mix and cover the boiled half egg with it and make a nice egg like shape. Do same for the 2nd half of the egg.
- Break the other egg on a small bowl and mix egg yolk and white together.
- Put the cutlet into the egg mix and apply the mix nicely. Now put it on the bread crumbs and apply coating of bread crumbs.
- Put a deep frying pan or kadai on the oven and pour oil on it. We need sufficient oil so that the cutlet can be deep fried.
- When the oil on the kadai is medium hot, add 2 cutlet pieces on it.
- Let the cutlet fry until they turn into nice brown color.
- Once these cutlets are done, pick them up and let the excess oil drain from the surface of cutlet.
Enjoy this delicious egg cutlet or Dim Chop (Bengali) or Egg Pakora appetizer with some tomato sauce and salad.