Cook Express – Pesarattu with Chettinad Chutney by Jayashree Jairam
[su_carousel source=”media: 1601,1600,1599,1598,1597,1596,1595,1594,1593,1592,1591,1590,1589,1588,1587,1586,1585,1584,1583,1582,1581,1580,1579,1578,1577,1576,1575,1574,1573,1572″ link=”lightbox” width=”640″ height=”200″ title=”no” autoplay=”3000″]
Check out this unique South Indian easy to make-can’t go wrong “Pesarattu” that is from the dosa family .
The Chettinad chutney is a must learn recipe that has a special ingredient that makes it different.
This was demonstrated on 10th April 2014 by Jayashree Jairam who is also a Bharatanatyam dancer and Badminton champ.
Pesarattu or Moong Dal Dosa
A delicacy from Andhra Pradesh, it is traditionally served with plain Upma and Ginger Chutney.
- 2 1/2 cup Moong dal
- 3 table spoons Urad dal
- 1/4 cup Raw rice
- 2 chopped Onions (big size)
- 1 1/2 inch piece Ginger (remove skin)
- 5 to 6 Green chilies
- 6 to 7 Garlic pieces (optional)
- 1/2 cup Coriander – finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Hing
- Soak Moong dal , Urad dal, rice together over night or for 5 to 6 hours. Grind it to a smooth paste along with green chillies, ginger, garlic & one cut onion (optional).
- Now mix the batter well along with Salt, Hing, Coriander and Onions (Chopped).
- Heat a Tawa, pour a ladle of batter in the centre and spread in a circle from the centre to the rim of the Tawa.
- Drizzle a teaspoon of oil around the Dosa. After it gets cooked, flip it over to the other side, drizzle a little oil and cook till golden brown.
Serve hot with Chutney of your choice or make a unique and traditional Chettinad chutney with the recipe below.
ONION TOMATO CHUTNEY (CHETTINAD STYLE)
- 2 Large Onions, chopped
- 4 Large Ripe Tomatoes
- 7 to 8 Red chilies
- 2 tea spoons Channa dal
- 1 tea spoon Urad dal
- 2 table spoons finely chopped Coriander leaves
- 1 tea spoon Saunf (Aniseed) (Big Saunf)
- One small lime size ball of Tamarind (Imily) seeds removed
- 2 table spoon Oil
- Salt to taste
- Chop onions and tomatoes into small pieces.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a Kadai, Sauté the Channa Dal, Urad Dal, Saunf, Red Chillies for a few seconds on a small flame (take care not to burn it).
- In the same Kadai, first, add onions and then the tomatoes, fry for few minutes until tomatoes become mushy.
- Allow it to cool.
- Grind in the mixer along with salt, tamarind and chopped coriander leaves into smooth paste.
- 1 Teaspoon Oil
- Mustard Seeds
- Urad Dal
- Curry Leaves
Take 1 tsp oil in a kadai add mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves & little Hing for seasoning till mustard seeds splutter & urad dal turns Golden brown. Then pour hot tadka on top of the chutney.
Serve with hot Pessarattu or Dosa.
We have scheduled a variety of recipes that are sure to get you interested.(Click here to know more)