Three’s a Company @ Roland Garros by Nitin Bandekar

Tennis Racquette

When one hears about Roland Garros – there’s just one name that shouts out – Rafael Nadal. The King of Clay.
Things are looking quite ominous this year for Nadal ever since he has returned back after missing out on a lot of tennis last season due to injury, something that he himself says ” I take every match as my last match ”
As far as clay and Roland Garros goes – Nadal is a champion here since 2004 till 2014 barring the one year in 2009 where he lost in the semifinal and Roger Federer eventually took the title to complete his grand slam sweep.
This year I see three contenders for the Roland Garros title. Nadal, Novak and Andy Murray . Sounds silly doesn’t it! when I say this.
Well there is a element in my belief. Novak wants this title – any which way he can to complete his grand slam sweep and he is looking in great form winning the Monte Carlos Masters by beating Nadal in the semi final.
Andy Murray on the other hand has the belief in himself after winning two back to back clay titles one of them over Nadal at the Madrid Masters.
Nadal will work his best. Roland Garros is his second home. He knows this and so do all the players.
So where does this leave us ? This will be perhaps the first time in almost six years that we may have a new Roland Garros champion for 2015.
I still have my bets on Nadal. Why? In a best of five sets – with the stamina that Nadal has and his mastery on clay – he is the man to beat.

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA * * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.